Thursday, June 23, 2011

Will You Feel Safer

WILL YOU FEEL SAFER

If I don’t linger
in your bookstore aisles
flipping pages
or taking extra time
finding the correct
size or color in your
department store
if I don’t feel
the fabric texture
of the pants you sell
forcing you to pretend
to work nearby
neglecting your job
to keep an eye on me

Will you be at ease
if I don’t call your
business phone
and ask you in
accented tongue
to clean my house
to fix my washer
to mow my lawn
to work in my yard
to mend my shoes

Will you be surprised
if I reveal to you
my occupation
if I tell you
of my hobbies
if I am not pushing
a custodian’s cart
or holding a mop
broom or brush
and I am instead
about to lecture
at a science convention


By María T. Balogh --published in Bellerive 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment